Sign In

Akhaltsikhe Synagogue

Akhaltsikhe Synagogue

Category:

Product Description

The Akhaltsikhe Synagogue of the Georgian Jews, built in 1902, is located on Guramishvili Street. It consists of two large halls – the upper hall which has a women’s gallery and is sumptuously decorated with geometrical motifs. The spacious lower hall is used by men for daily prayer services and has no section for women. This building is built in neo-classical style and is made of stone. The shrine isn’t active now; it was closed in 1952, by the government of the Soviet Union. After the death of Stalin Jews asked for a permit to get the synagogue back but they could manage to return only the one built in 1986. The one built in 1902 went through many re-decorations; it was used as a movie theatre, a library, a house of culture, a billiard room and a boxing hall.

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Add Review

Add Review

Be the first to review “Akhaltsikhe Synagogue”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *