At the beginning of the XX century, with the permission of the Emperor Nicholas II of Russia Construction of the “Ashkenazi” stone synagogue started, Which was completed in 1904 under the guidance of architect Semion Vulkovich. It was analogous to the synagogues of Amsterdam and The Hague. During the Soviet era, the building was used for various purposes. In 1993, the synagogue was handed over to the Jewish Diaspora again. Jews mostly visit the synagogue on Saturdays and holidays. The Batumi Synagogue is also frequently visited by tourist groups who come from Israel.